Monday, February 25, 2008

Friday night on the ridge

So I stayed home tonight, and skipped what I'm sure was a lovely girls night out playing games at a friend's house, in hopes of "getting things done." What did I do you ask? Put away clothes, folded laundry, mostly made homemade granola (my favorite recipe, here (http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=226358) and tried (emphasis on tried) to make kolacky. These are the cute Czech (or other eastern European country) pastry that are folded with fruit filling. Recipe sounded easy - the pastry has butter, cream cheese, flour and a little salt in it. Multiple reviews of the online recipes suggested using Solo filling rather than jam, and bingo, Safeway had it in stock (no I didn't even bother with the IGA, too unlikely.) So I make my dough, put it in the fridge to chill, and hang out. No wait, that's not right. I make my dough while the kids are putting PJs on with J and toss it in the fridge, then run upstairs and help get them in bed. Then I hung out, making granola, doing all those other things while it chilled. So about 9:20, I start to try to make these. But no, mine won't stay folded. I try water. No. I try egg wash, and only somewhat better. Why am I trying to make these? Because I foolishly agreed to bring an "international" dessert to a church women's event tomorrow. I do love to bake, but after agreeing to do this, I realized that nothing I bake is remotely "international." Unless you count Betty Crocker mixes that are sold in Australia? So I've made 3/4 of them. We've eaten a bunch (at least they are tasty, even if they don't look like kolacky) and I have one quarter of the dough left for tomorrow morning to see if I can eke out enough of these to look decent on a disposable plate! Wish me luck!

UPDATE: I made the last 1/4 of the dough in the morning. They were the best yet, and now I feel like I could start again and they might look decent. Oh well, next time. But here's the best part. I'm dropping off my "international" dessert at church. I see that someone has made lovely looking flans. Someone else made some Norwegian cookies. Oh but wait, did I hear that correctly? Yes, someone brought Snickerdoodles, as an American dessert. AAARGH!

Picture finally attached! They are all supposed to have two corners folded into the center. You can see that most don't! This was before the final batch. I'll make them again though - maybe for Easter?

2 comments:

Maarten said...

Ha ha ha! Next year you could go for French dessert (read: cheese plate!) or Greek dessert (greek yoghurt with honey drizzle).

Simon Tribe -ooh ha haa said...

I'm glad you had a good experience baking, but we don't want to miss you again at ladies night! You could bring those cool treats! Dinner group was fun, though. I always enjoy talking to you. :)