Sunday, May 11, 2008

Camping, and other assorted fun...

We've had a busy weekend. S and J had their first camping trip Friday night. It was our church congregation's annual Father/Son campout. J's description of the first five minutes was, "S found a stick and joined a gang." Fortunately the gang was comprised of a handful of other 4 to 8 year old boys and I think the worst things they did were toss someone's sleeping bags out of a loft and throw rocks into the river.

J and S came home tired and dirty but excited to go camping again, which is a good thing, because G can't wait! We are planning to go later this summer as a family, hopefully with some friends. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, G and I had a party at our house. I knew there were other younger sibs who didn't get to go camping who might be feeling left out. So we had three other moms, with five kids, over for a dinner of pancakes, French toast, fruit, juice and most importantly, maple syrup. We had a project too, the kids got to decorate crowns with stickers. And we danced to some of our favorite songs, ran around and wore everyone out. All in all, a fun night.

Saturday, our neighbor received his first communion. I went to church for the service, which was much more casual than I remember Catholic services being. I guess I'm just thinking of the weddings I've been to. Our whole family went to their house for dinner and a party. G loved the "samami" (salami,) playing the piano and singing her ABCs, and chasing the cat around the house. She runs up to the cat, and says meow, which prompts the cat to run away, with her close behind. Meanwhile, S is running away from the cat! The highlight for S was playing the harp with a plastic sword (the noise brought an abrupt halt to the adult conversation and a quick dash to the harp. All was well with the harp, and sword.)

It may be time to invest in musical instruments for our house, although a harp is not on our list!

No comments: