So I'm telling J a story last night about the kids, and his first response was, "That's what you should blog about!" -- because I often can't think of what I should write about. But anyway, here's the story.
S is loving Star Wars right now. After spending the afternoon "running the Death Star with Governor Tarkin" in his room, at dinner he asked me, "Have you met DarthVader?" I say no. "Have you met C3PO?" "No, I haven't met him either." "Have you met R2D2?" "Well, just the one we have in the office." (NB - we have a 15" voice commanded R2 unit in our office, that we get out sometimes for the kids to play with. Yes, we'll show it to you when you are next over, if you've never seen it. It dances to the cantina song, plays a few games, and responds to certain questions.)
S: "So you have met R2d2!" It then occurs to me that the Star Wars book he is reading with J has photographs in it from the movies - and to S that means it is real. So I try to explain that it isn't:
me: S, you know how in Lyle, Lyle Crocodile the crocodile isn't really real? I mean there isn't really a crocodile living in someone's bathtub?
S just looks at me.
I continue: So Star Wars is like that. Someone made it up, they wrote a story and
S interjects: Yes, I did. I wrote the story! (referring to a picture he drew and dictated a "story" about. The story goes like this, "Darth Vader shooting arrows at Princess Leia.")
me: Well actually, George Lucas did, and he (and now I realize just how hard this is to explain) he got some people to dress up like the characters in his story (I realize S does not know what "characters" means.) And those people are playing pretend and... I trail off, after realizing that this sounds incredibly dumb. Oh well.
1 comment:
AWESOME. I loved it. Thanks to J for suggesting you blog about this! I was chuckling to myself through the whole thing. Conversations with children are the BEST entertainment.
Post a Comment