Saturday, May 16, 2009

First sunburn of the season...

because I forgot to put sunscreen on any of us today. Other than that small problem, this was a great day. I took a walk after breakfast. We all cleaned up the house in the morning. J took the kids out garage sale-ing after the morning jobs were finished, and the kids had a great time spending their allowances. S bought a Han Solo watch for 25 cents (he has wanted a watch for a long time,) and bargained for a new large truck. (Seller asks how much he'll pay for it, he replies $10. J intervenes and offers $1.50. Seller then says he can have it for $1. I wonder how low she was willing to go?) G bought a Nemo book (who she calls Wemo.) They both got to buy treats at a yard sale, and just be out in the glorious spring weather.

I planted and weeded and planted and weeded. Three containers fully planted, the left side yard now has 3 bleeding hearts and some ground cover started (of which we will definitely need more) and is partly weeded. If I could just get all the rocks out... it would look so much better. One of the two much hated bushes is gone (hurray for me!) Although as I type this I realize that there are another two hated shrubs, so it is really 1 of 4. Dahlias, zinnias, snapdragons, marigolds all planted. And the garden nook behind the kitchen is now weeded, so that S has his own digging spot.

J did a fantastic job restaking the raspberries - with tall metal stakes, and wire. Hopefully this will keep them out of the pathway for the whole summer. He filled in some bare patches in our back lawn. He also cleaned up all the messes I leave behind when I plant, gave S some wood and a hammer to create with, and swept the mess out from under the grill, while watching our kids and the sweet neighbor boy. G watered everything in sight. For two hours. Raspberries, roses, shoes, dirt, weeds ("to help them gwow"), new plants, old plants, her dress, the new grass seed, her brother, even her dad. Somehow I avoided the watering queen. She was wet and filthy and oh so happy.

There is still some remaining yard work... finish weeding the right side yard, and plant some more stuff there. Finally have a truck load of dirt brought in to fill in beds, and then wheelbarrow it around to spread it.

The day ended with two tired children going to sleep quickly!

2 comments:

Laurie said...

hey, as I was looking at your blog I just realized I never got back to you on the baseball pants for Sam. Let me know if you need some. We have an extra pair he can borrow! :) Looks like you had a successful garage sale outing with the kids!

Laurie said...

never mind! I should have responded after I read your baseball post...saw you bought pants!!!