We've since been back to the lake with a friend of S's on a warmer day, and had a great time playing on the rocky beach. I think we'll be headed back more often to this delightful spot.I've also been reading The Last Child in the Woods, by Richard Louv. Its central premise is that children need more exposure to the natural world and that unscheduled time in the natural world helps children think better, learn better and cope better with our world. I'm not yet finished with it, but I find the premise intriguing. As a result, I'm trying to provide the children with more free play opportunities in the natural world. This means not just going to the playground, but visiting places like this awesome lake, and letting them just play.


1 comment:
Hey Susanna, I read this book last year and loved it. It really changes the way you think about our "containerized" approach to child-rearing these days. Balanced with healthy concern for children's safety, the book's recommendations are really good. enjoy reading! Hannah Smith
Post a Comment