Thursday, August 6, 2009

Alphabet Games and Blueberry Muffins

I'm skipping the last two months (for now) to write about today. I've realized that when I'm blogging so much later that I only remember whatever I captured on the camera. I took no pictures yesterday or today, but we've had two good days - days worth remembering.

Yesterday we went blueberry picking. We took a friends' 9 yr old daughter with us, and we had a great time. It was about 65 degrees in the morning, cloudy but not raining. Perfect picking weather. The berries were fabulous, they hung in big ripe bunches, weighting down the branches of the bushes. We brought home 8 lbs, and the 9 yr old took home her own bag weighing nearly 3 lbs. G ate everything she picked, plus some of mine, and S picked about 2 pints. They each wanted an "award," and so in the car on the way home I came up with these. The friend won for most berries picked. G won for most berries eaten. And S won for best picking to eating ratio (since everything he picked came home with us, leaves, green berries and some blue ones even.) They were all pleased with their awards.

Today we had a mellow morning at home. After breakfast, the kids each went merrily on their way - S up to his room to play Lego's and G off to an alphabet game of her own devising in the family room. She combined an alphabet train puzzle with two other alphabet puzzle games. She was giving the letters rides in a fire truck, chatting away to herself the whole time. After 30 minutes or so, she wandered into the kitchen and asked for "a chance to play in the sink." This is a favorite activity - often requested, not always granted.

I had just finished making my mom's blueberry muffin recipe, and had mostly cleaned up, so the sink was clear for playing. G got out a muffin tin, a bowl, a funnel and a variety of measuring cups, and played happily for 20 minutes or so. This whole time, Lego boy was quietly upstairs. And then, he decided to get dressed for the day without any reminders or requests from me.

These kind of days remind me of why I stay home with S and G. We get to have mellow days like this, where we just hang out, each doing something we enjoy. It is so nice to have slow days, especially in the summer.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

You are such a good mom. Aren't days like these wonderful? Thanks for taking Miranda with you. She enjoyed it immensely. And the blueberries are just about gone . . .

Rachel said...

That sounds like my kind of summer. I love berry picking. I miss the lazy (relatively) days of summer already.