Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Solar System

We love the planets! S was quite interested in the solar system a few weeks ago, and so we borrowed several books from the library. One book had a sample project in the back where you could make a planet mobile. It even included "to scale" measurements for each planet. We didn't need a mobile, but I liked the idea of making the planets. So I suggested to S that we could make planets to put on his wall. He loved the idea.

So after raiding the cardboard supply in the garage, I cut out planets for painting. We had a great time painting, and with a bit of direction, managed to get the planets painted in roughly their true colors. G also wanted to paint planets, so I cut a few extras for her. All in all, very fun. And after a nearly two week wait, today we put them up on S's wall, with "handi-tak." Here is S with Jupiter and Saturn. These are by far the largest. More pics of other planets on the wall coming.

Before we did the big planets, S did a smaller version with foam shapes and collage. He chose which circle was which planet, and where it should go, and then asked me to make the labels for them. Then Mars needed a rover, and he made everyone in our family. Here's his work:

No comments: