Saturday, March 8, 2008

Things I'm Working On...

So I have big plans for the backyard (again!) I think I do this every year, but I think I'm at least getting more realistic. I'm trying to actually consider where in the yard we need plants, and what might work in those spots. And I'm thinking about what is manageable with two small kids - both to maintain, and what will live with all the love they will lavish on plants (overwatering especially.)

With all the great weather we've been having, we have had lots of quality time in the backyard. S and G have used this time to move rocks, dig in the dirt, etc. I've been planning my gardening attack for the spring. I asked S and G if they would like to have some flowers of their own. Yes! was the very enthusiastic answer. So I was imagining taking them to the local nursery in about six weeks, and letting them pick out some small plants. Although, actually the display of primroses at Home Depot looked pretty appealing the other day (at least from the car window as we drove by!)

But then, I was at Costco yesterday and they had bags of ready to go plants - iris, daylilies, daisies, etc. They looked so great. I saw some I liked, but realized they were full sun, and our full sun gardening space is limited. So I reluctantly put them back, and almost moved on, and then I saw two different mixes of Hostas! Hooray - hostas work great in the shade, there are lots of interesting patterns, they have flowers, and once planted, they seem hard to kill. And then I spied a bag of peonies (one of my all time favorites, and the bag said part shade) and so I was done. Hooray, flowers to plant. S and G were so excited about their bags when I unloaded them from the car.

Hopefully we can get to planting soon! (at least one of us is ready!)


1 comment:

Maarten said...

G looks like she wore her new helmet for the trip to Costco... or maybe hasn't taken it off at all yet. :-)