Wednesday, March 19, 2008

In the Yard this week...

We've been out in the yard a couple of times this week, despite the various illnesses in our house. And the kids always love the yard. We've planted one of our hostas. G loved the digging part of planting. S loved the watering after planting. Well G would have loved that too, if she hadn't poured out her water too soon.

Today the kids were playing happily, riding bikes, throwing and kicking balls, and I had visions of being productive, albeit in a small way. I never cut back all the dead stuff from the irises in the fall, and as the green shoots are peeking through the brown matter, I thought I could quickly do that job. And I did. But then G saw my pile of brown leaves and it was too tempting. She had the best time carrying piles across the yard, covering my shoes with her piles, putting them on S, and generally making a big mess. And so I let her (okay, more like I didn't get upset with her or clean it up.) And once those were well strewn, she moved on to the japonica bushes (?) and pulled off their little bell shaped flowers, to give to S and me. Hooray! She likes gardening. Now to plant the other 23 hostas (all bare root) and the 6 peonies. Then uproot two large shrubs, and ... you get the idea.


The irises after my brief attempt at cutting back the dried leaves. One of the culprits in action.

The yard after my helpers played with the iris leaves.


G picking and sharing the bells off the japonica (is this really a japonica?)

Oh, the sweatshirt/scarf/winter boots/mittens outfit? she picked it!

No comments: