Sunday, January 18, 2009

Could You Do This in One Day?

So a week or so ago, I read somewhere the idea of getting the whole week's laundry done, cleaning the whole house and doing the grocery shopping in one day. Whoever wrote this said that she wanted to do this in 2009 - it was a goal of hers. I don't remember where I read it, (otherwise I'd provide a link) but the context implied it was written by a stay at home mom with youngish children, who intended to do this all herself - she was not hiring out the work.

I keep thinking about this, trying to imagine in what universe this is remotely possible. For our house, this is 8 loads of laundry, plus 1 1/2 hours for grocery shopping and putting away the food, and more house cleaning than I usually do in a week.

I'm thinking - maybe she means she'll change all the sheets and towels the day before, and pre-sort all the laundry the night before so that it is ready to go, and maybe she has one bathroom, and not very much vacuuming, and maybe her kids rooms are always tidy so that it is easy to just walk in and vacuum. And maybe her kids make their own meals? And change their own diapers? Or are in all-day preschool?

I mean really, is this even possible, or am I a total slacker?

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Nope, don't try it...you'll die...and we'd miss you.

Bekah said...

Hmm, if I waited to do all my laundry one day a week, I wouldn't be able to get through the door. Bad idea.

If I remember right, when all my kids were little my resolutions were (1)Don't overload the washer (2)Have lipstick on when I leave the house.

Realistic dreams for realistic women.

Melanie said...

I think I could do all of that . . . in one year :)

Mom-entarily Out of Order said...

Minus kids and hubby, sure. With kids, no way no how.